Resilience Economy in the Ministry of Agriculture-jahad
In line with the core outlooks of the 6th National Development Plan and as well as the Resilience Economy’s operational plans and policy, a “National Steering Council” was shaped and involved by Cabinet members. The Council cohesively focused on setting structural coordination and synergy amid the two modalities’ scopes and to this end, 10 national projects/activities were formulated for action over the next 5 years. The idea urges enhancement of national production capacity ( Endogenesis of Economy) towards boosting National Food-Security with focus on domestic production of strategic agro-staples.
Following the foregoing adoption, the Minister of Agriculture-Jahad picked 16 senior managers to take the lead of the initiatives’ formulation and operation. Worth to note, certain sub-managers were also specially assigned for running crucial tasks e.g. Rice, Oil-seeds, Grains, cultivation, and nominated to the National Management & Planning Organization (MPO).
Accessing to enough and safe food and nutrition deserves a pivotal scope in our society for improved learning, performance and economic development. Food-security not only entails adequate supply but underlain by fair distribution and accession of healthy foodstuff for all. Perception of this concept leaves significant impacts on strategic policy development in food security field as the scopes may stretch far beyond food supply and encompass the entire developmental dimensions.
Ensuring food security relies on domestic resources and production as overburden on agriculture sector by the law and order of the land as well as targets foreseen in the National 20-Year Perspective and the National 5-Year Plans. Food-security as emphasized by the 5-year Plans, comprises the supply-chain from farm to fork and signifies added-value and productivity promotion in agro-businesses based on sustainable development, nutrition standards, production capacity and self-sufficiency in raising agricultural and animal yields.
Plans and projects linked to Food-Security and production of strategic crops within the context of National Action-Plan for leveraging domestic capability production.
Project 1. Boosting self–reliance on basic staples including wheat, barley, Rice,…
- Upgrading self-reliance index in local supplying of basic crops and production inputs;
- Increasing local production of basic crops ;
- Up scaling performance in production;
- Sustainable agriculture, protection of basic resources and optimum exploitation of water and soil resources;
- Ensuring food–security , food–safety and energy / protein required by households;
Pre-requisites of the project:
- Expansion of insurance coverage and reduction of production risks;
- Promotion of social welfare in users community and in creasing producers income ;
- Generation of enabling ground for optimum exploitation of water and soil resources ;
- Objective–orientation of public supports to agro-business activities;
- Capitalization in infra-structures;
- Heading to new technical know–how for promoting education and extension of applied skills;
- Empowering beneficiaries and developing CBOs;
Measurable objectives :
Performance in 2014